Instytucje związane z Chopinem Instytucje związane z Chopinem

Musée royal de Mariemont

Musée royal de Mariemont

Przepraszamy, ale poniższy tekst nie jest dostępny w języku polskim
 

Mariemont consists of:

  • a 45 hectare park in the style of an English landscape garden, one of the most beautiful arboretums in Belgium
  • the ruins of Charles of Lorraine’s palace
  • the museum, a major work by the architect Bastin
  • the “Bourgeois de Calais”, by Rodin
  • the most beautiful collection of Tournai porcelains in the world
  • hundreds of works from Egypt, Greece and Rome
  • the monumental statue of Cleopatra (five tonnes)
  • frescoes from the villa of Boscoreale (Pompeii)
  • the Ares from the Somzée collection and numerous others masterpieces of Classical Antiquity
  • the most complete collection of Chinese antiquities in Belgium
  • a tea house and numerous collections from Japan, Korea and Vietnam
  • archaeological and historical collections covering everything about the region
  • extremely rare manuscripts and handwritten documents, thousands of precious books
  • a research library with 100,000 volumes

Mariemont’s history unfolds in two chapters: the first illustrates the past of the former hunting estate created in 1546 by Queen Mary of Hungary, whose name it bears. The second refers to the Warocqué family, a dynasty of coal industrialists whose last offspring, Raoul, a very wealthy collector, originated the Museum of Mariemont. Queen Mary of Hungary, a sister of Charles V, inaugurated the presence of the governors of The Netherlands who would succeed each other until the end of the Ancien Régime.

The modest pavilion constructed by Mary was considerably expanded by Archduke Albert and Archduchess Isabelle, who made it their favourite country residence. These extensions are illustrated with a monumental model. The appearance of the estate did not undergo any more major modifications until the arrival of Marie-Elisabeth of Austria, who had a new chapel built and laid the foundations for a new thermal station to rival Spa. Charles of Lorraine, who succeeded her, built a new chateau in the classical style as shown beautifully in two paintings by Jean-Baptiste Simons. The splendours of the court were reflected magnificently in this enchanted setting. This brilliant period was brutally interrupted by the burning of the chateau by French revolutionaries in 1794.

The arrival of Nicolas Warocqué, the ideal incarnation of the new industrial bourgeoisie, brought back a new radiance to Mariemont. He revived the exploitation of the mineral wealth of the Mariemont park on a large scale and had a new residence established within a sumptuous park. His successors developed his business and made the coalmining company of Mariemont-Bascoup one of the most modern and most prosperous of the country. Warocqué family members were also very well represented in economic and social affairs. Raoul Warocqué occupies an honoured place through his splendour, his international stature and his patronage, whose memory is perpetuated in the estate of Mariemont.

Mariemont is an exceptional place for a dialogue between art, culture and nature, with unique collections evoking the Orient and the Occident, the past and the present, fauna and flora.

The information from the official museum website


 

Rękopisy przechowywane w bibliotece:

Walc Es-dur op. 18; Autograf edycyjny

Wg kategorii: